Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Reverse Culture Shock 2

Our Voice
We now talk whatever we want because we think we have a right to speak out loud. But this is just impolite in many situations in China and we find it hard to adjust and keep quiet now. We forget our own culture manner etiquettes. We now treat our parents and friends differently. We tend to encourage different voices from everybody and we expect them to speak out also. This is really obvious especially online.

Company culture
Most of my friends and I have been worked in both foreign company and local company these summers to discover what kind of company culture do we like. There is a huge different. The culture in foreign company in China welcomes us and treats us very likely the way we used to in America. The working atmosphere is more relaxing based on equal communication. However, it took me sometime to adjust into our local company culture. The local company would not tell you the job position in advance. Also students need to be really helpful but not in a "loud" way, meaning do your work and speak less. The hierarchy in local company is important and students should bare in mind who is the leader to talk to when having problems. No matter what, being able to experience and adjust into different company's culture is important. It is the professional way.

Our taste changed
I miss everything in the US when I was in China and I miss everything in China when I was in US. This sounds insane but last summer when I was walking down the street some day, a huge craving for hamburger and pizza just make all the food in Chinese restaurants seem tasteless and I need to find a place to buy a sandwich to end my craving. And sometimes in the midnight, I just need a hot chocolate and cookies so bad. Our taste changed. Chinese believed so much in food and if the taste changed, this person really changed because memory is linked with food. The fact that we want American food back in China drive our parents nuts because we used to love the food they make for us. But now they are also forced by us to taste "junk food" that we loved when we were in America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment